Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Meeting with a Prof.

I had a meeting today with a professor. Ostensibly, it was to discuss a topic choice for the seminar paper. And we talked about that. She talked me down from a paper about DFW-area women's response to WWII. It's a little sad because that is kind of an interesting subject. I mean, you have the WAACs and WAVEs and WASPs and the Rosie the Riveter type women and the Red Cross nurses and, my personal favorite, the patriotutes. But, it really doesn't have anything to do with my thesis topic and, well, why not use these classes to work on my thesis? I don't really have an answer to that...I hope it was rhetorical.

I told her that I always kind of kept the thesis stuff separate from my regular school work, but I didn't know why. Then, I made some sort of crack about how "inside my head was a dark and scary place" like I normally do....she disagreed with me. Said that she had seen my work and, therefore, believes that she knows a little something about what goes on inside my head.

She told me a story about turning down a scholarship when she was young--like 21--and just getting her bachelor's degree because she thought that she couldn't do it. And she wanted me to know that story because she wanted me to know that I have what it takes.

Wow. So, I have another professor that has faith in me. I hope like hell I don't disappoint her.

Then, the part where I proved my idiocy: I volunteered to lead discussion on the book we were supposed to read this week so that she could step out and attend a faculty meeting. Yea! Extra work! Woohoo!

P.S.--a short quiz: Does the fact that I find this hysterically, laugh-out-loud funny every time I hear it make me a 12 year old boy? One of my colleagues in the Help Center is TA-ing for two instructors this semester.....Hathcock and Ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment